Insurance Defense Legal Secretary – General Liability
We are seeking an experienced Legal Secretary to handle general liability defense matters in very fast-paced environment. Proficiency, efficiency, and a great attitude makes you the perfect candidate. Workers’ Compensation experience would be a big plus, but not necessary.
Perform a variety of legal secretarial and administrative duties for assigned attorneys, many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Assist with general office support efforts and perform other duties as requested and assigned.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively and efficiently compose various legal documentation including but not limited to pleadings, discovery, subpoenas, and draft correspondence.
- Review incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly.
- Provide necessary telephone assistance including, but not limited to, answering callers routine questions.
- Maintain attorney calendar as well as maintain diary and tickler dates appropriately. Review calendar daily and proactively handle upcoming events and determine dates upon which various pleadings must be served and filed.
- Input and maintain information into case management system and ensure data integrity.
- Schedule/coordinate depositions, medical examinations, and other court designated hearings. Retain court reporters and interpreters, if necessary.
- Act as a liaison with experts and witnesses in scheduling/coordinating appearances and/or depositions along with documentation retrieval.
- Act as a liaison between client and counsel by furnishing and requesting information
- Assist attorney in trial.
EDUCATION/COURSE OF STUDY:
High School Diploma or its equivalent required; vocational secretarial training desirable.
Minimum 4 years experience as a Legal Secretary required, experience in insurance defense litigation preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to communicate with court personnel, other attorneys and their staff, clients, witnesses and outside vendors.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Highly proficient with the usage of a case management system and other software applications.
- Strong understanding of legal terminology, local court/jurisdiction rules, and adhere to law office procedures.
- Ability to identify urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Strong strategic thinker and decision maker
- Practice appropriate office etiquette.
- Ability to manage time and multitask effectively and displays problem solving skills by developing methods or approaches to getting the work done.
- Maintain composure and professionalism under pressure as well as adapt to new situations and changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to operate business machines such as photocopy and scanning equipment.
- Position requires physical activity including but not limited to bending, stooping, repetitive motion, and lifting of up to 20 pounds
- Highly competitive base salary
- 401(k) with profit sharing
- Comprehensive health plans
- Vacation (2 weeks) and personal time (2 weeks)
- Paid Holidays
- Training/Development opportunities
- A team-oriented atmosphere with great coworkers
Back to career list